Easter Monday - Rain, Sleeplessness, Visiting Mum's Grave
Room A/C problems persist.
We woke up early today around 6:30. Stephani has been having trouble sleeping and getting air conditioning in the room exactly right. We're on the hunt to find flowers for our visit to my Mother's graveside later this morning.
Pope Francis Passed Away
While we were out looking for flowers, we saw news reports that His Holiness, Pope Francis, the leader of the Catholic Church, had passed away at age 88. He was our favorite Pope and seemed to be a Pope for everyone, particularly the marginalized and poorest in the world. His Holiness will be remembered as a truly compassionate Pope who served the church faithfully and encouraged inclusion and understanding. May he rest in eternal peace.
Beautiful Visit with Mother
Uncle Norman and Laurie very graciously agreed to drive us to Redburn Cemetery to visit Mum's grave. We have not seen it since the headstone work was completed, and it looks fantastic; you can't tell that Mum's name was added to her mother and father's name years after they died. Stephani picked out some beautiful flowers and found them at the only place in town selling flowers on Easter Monday, Tesco Express.
Redburn is a beautiful place. It's quiet, except for the odd plane coming into Belfast City Airport. The graves are all very well kept, and we can drive in and park near them. Stephani placed the flowers, and I took a few photos. I was able to spend a quiet moment speaking with her. I miss her so much. It's been nine years since she passed away, and I miss her as much as I did when she died.
We talked a lot about her today with Norman and Laurie.
After our visit to Redburn Norman took us for a mini tour of Holywood. The home where local hero, Rory McIlroy, grew up is less than 1/2 mile away, a modest home in a lovely housing estate. Norman told us the back yard had a practice putting green. We saw many banners and posters in town congratulating Rory on his Master's tournament win.
The Scene Of My Famous Drone Crash
In our search for lunch, we stopped near the shore—the same spot where, year's ago, I lost connection with my drone and spent 20 minutes searching through muddy sea bogs trying to find it, as locals out walking their dogs laughed at me. I eventually found it sitting in a bush next to my car.
Today, Stephani and I took pictures and chatted about our experience visiting Mum.
A Wonderful Lunch at The Ivan Ho
Norman found the wonderful Ivan Ho Hotel and Restaurant for us to have lunch. We enjoyed swapping stories about Mum and Dad. Interestingly, I was later told about a couple who were seated behind me who were obviously listening in on us, nosy judgy people, the worst.
Afterwords we went back to Norman and Laurie's for cups of tea and more storytelling. What a great day.





Comments