Belfast to London Heathrow (4-23)
Last minute breakfast then flight to London
Goodby Belfast
Smooth flight
We touched down in London on Wednesday afternoon and jumped in an Uber. Everything about our travel day went as planned, right from our final Belfast breakfast at Maggie Mays to the Uber ride to George Best City Airport. As usual, the takeoff out of Belfast was spectacular, with the view of the giant yellow shipyard cranes. Sitting next to me was a man from Northern Ireland. We struck up a conversation after introductions, and upon mentioning I grew up in Aldershot, England, I told him, "No, I was never in the army." But he was, and several of his tattoos depicted the military. He was very nice. On his way to the Middle East to work security on a super yacht, guiding it to a new harbor in the Mediterranean for the summer.
Either Stephani and I are getting very good at this international travel stuff, or the process and organization at the airports have vastly improved. I remember one time when we arrived at Heathrow after a long flight, setting my briefcase on top of my rolling luggage, only to see it topple onto the concrete and shatter the laptop screen. I had no laptop that entire trip. No such trouble for us. The only stupid thing I did was checking my carry-on bag on the flight over to Belfast from London days earlier. That was nerve-wrecking. My wallet, camera, and laptop were all in it, and I had misunderstood Stephani. This happens a lot. I am not quite catching what was said. Why are we doing such and such, and boom.. oh wait, do you mean that bag is being placed in the hold? I need to learn to advocate for myself more. The bag arrived unscathed, and I had no reason to be concerned; everything was there.
London Welcomes Us
Our Uber driver was Francis, a joyful man from Uganda. He told us he came to the UK when he was 15. He has a family here now, and after learning where we were from, he told us about the bucket list trip he is planning: a west coast camping drive from Seattle, Washington, down to San Diego. What a dream trip that will be. It was a great ride and a great conversation. He dropped us right outside the door of our AirBnB, where we will be for the remainder of our trip.
The AirBnB is located in the heart of London's West End, steps from all of the theaters. It's incredible how much is right here. We even have a Boots chemist and a Sainsbury's grocer a block away. Lots of great restaurants, although they all appear to be pricey. So, we bought in some supplies to make a few simple meals while here.
Gonna have some great craic while here.

Comments