12-4-05 The Big Event
What a lovely day! We got up and went down to breakfast early, then watched the recap of the George Best funeral on TV. George Best of course, was the very famous footballer who recently passed away. A nation mourns. The funeral precession in Belfast was similar to that of Princess Diana.
Did a little bit of shopping, our hotel is nearby a massive shopping area with plenty areas to eat and drink (Starbucks is round the corner). Mid afternoon we got ready for the concert in Twickenham. Got minimally lost in Banstead, but a stop in a local pub fixed that, and we were on our way. Got to Pete Townshend’s “The Boathouse” studios on the Thames around 4:00 and went up to the Ailsa Inn, for a few pints and some bangers and mash. Slowly, the Bloggers (people who post messages on Pete and Rachel’s blog) started to arrive at the pub. We met up with our missing friend Debby C from Springfield, MA and her boyfriend Jim, a nice couple, and Mark T and Jill T from Croydon. Since Gary’s Blog profile includes his photo, people were picking him out of the crowd. Before long we had a large table of people sharing stories about Pete, Rachel and Mikey.
Then it was time to go down to the studio to queue up. When we arrived, we found out our excellent parking space, not so much, the water from the Thames had flooded the vehicle, partly submerging Pete’s Backup System, and gift from Gary and CMS. As the night drew on, this packaging would completely fall apart unfortunately.
The Show:
I’ll start with these main observations about the show. Each performer clearly loves creating and performing music. Each performer had their own style. Each performer is world class, totally professional; it was obvious this wasn’t any ordinary gig for any of them. I wished I could freeze the experience in a loop and re-live it, it was so fantastic.
We were welcomed into the studio and went into a lobby area where there was a bar and a display of the performing artists CD’s for sale. We went in and sat in the left back corner, about 15 feet from the stage, perfect, not too loud, with a clear view of everything, including stage-right, where Rachel came. Before the show started, Rachel did a short session of In The Attic from another room with Mikey and Pete before taking the stage. First up was Mikey Cuthbert, who performed excellent renditions of “Tourist”, “Plasticine”, “The Pidgeon Song” and “Clever Girl”. Mikey has an amazing voice, capable of a wide range, his high notes were smooth and soulful, he feels the music he plays, and he plays to the audience, he wants his music to connect and it did.
Then Simon Townshend came on to deliver a blistering set which included “Save Me From Me”, “Soul Searching”, “The Way It Is”, “Girl In New York” and “Sex Change”. Simon feels his music, just look at his leg stomping to the beat, the rhythm guitar in perfect time, a performer pouring everything he has into this set. Again, a total professional playing to the audience. His guitar looked bloody cool, a black Gibson that has had the pick guard partly warn through to wood from his playing. We wanted more.
Then Rachel introduced Foy Vance from Bangor, Northern Ireland, who that day had just finished moving his family from Belfast to London. I went to the side of the stage and had a few words with Foy before he went on, telling him my Mother and Father were from Belfast and Mum currently lives in Bangor, he looked pleasantly surprised, and graciously signed the EP that I had brought to the gig. Foy played from his EP “Indiscriminate Act of Kindness”, “Ballies Blood”, the Jimi Hendrix classic “Cross Town Traffic” and another tune on piano that I didn’t get the name. I predict Foy Vance will be the next Van Morrison of our time. His songs are passionate, he has the pipes to backup what he writes, and his songs are Irish Soul Music.
Rachel brought her band on stage for a wonderful set which included a collection of songs from her album “Cigarettes & Housework”. “Into My Heart”, “Spin”, “Cigarettes & Housework” and “Jigsaw”. Rachel sounds wonderful in concert. One just can’t appreciate the dynamics of live sound when played through computer speakers. I kept my hearing aids on for the entire performance so I could hear everything. Again, a performer playing to her audience, putting everything she has into her performance. Just wonderful.
Next came Pete Townshend. The thing I love about seeing Pete and Rachel are the wonderful stories and tid bits they share. Pete told us the room we were sitting in was the last room John Entwistle played live with The Who before his death on the eve of the 2002 Who Tour. The studio its self was developed as a spiritual center devoted to Meher Baba in the late 60’s, and since that time just about every disciple of Meher Baba had stayed at the center. Pete referred to it as hallowed ground. During the late 80’s and mid 90’s the studio was occupied by alternative rock group the Cocteau Twins, and they had commented on the energy they felt when playing there. I must admit, we were very happy to be there. Pete delivered a remarkable set which included “Drowned”, “Greyhound Girl”, “Behind Blue Eyes”, “Red, Blue & Grey” and “In The Ether” where he was joined by Rachel. It’s obvious to me that Pete loves music, loves creating it, loves performing it, and I could tell he was at a very happy time in his life. I will remember seeing him this way for a long time.
The show closed with all performers taking the stage for an amazing rendition of Rachel’s song “Shine”. And some banter from Pete, Rachel and Mikey from up In The Attic.
We met Rachel briefly after the show along with Mikey, Rene and Simon, it was a bit of a mob, everyone was waiting to speak with them. When I met Rachel, it was a bit loud so I couldn’t say a lot to her, but I was able to explain the tattered mess that was Pete’s gift sitting on the table, I told her that I had intended to give it to Pete, but would send a brand new unit when I got home, but she wanted to take this unit and give it to him. Hopefully it will dry out enough and he will actually use it to backup his laptop. Luckily, the Martin Guitar that I had brought along with me for Pete to autograph was in good condition. I wasn’t disappointed not to get Pete’s autograph on it, it was obvious that there were too many people around and not the right time for him to meet personally. I had not set my hopes on meeting my hero in person, and he made a personal connection with each member of the audience from the stage.
The night was remarkable. We got back to the hotel in record time with no cars on the roads and I stayed awake pretty much all night re-living the concert in my mind. I will never forget this night.
Did a little bit of shopping, our hotel is nearby a massive shopping area with plenty areas to eat and drink (Starbucks is round the corner). Mid afternoon we got ready for the concert in Twickenham. Got minimally lost in Banstead, but a stop in a local pub fixed that, and we were on our way. Got to Pete Townshend’s “The Boathouse” studios on the Thames around 4:00 and went up to the Ailsa Inn, for a few pints and some bangers and mash. Slowly, the Bloggers (people who post messages on Pete and Rachel’s blog) started to arrive at the pub. We met up with our missing friend Debby C from Springfield, MA and her boyfriend Jim, a nice couple, and Mark T and Jill T from Croydon. Since Gary’s Blog profile includes his photo, people were picking him out of the crowd. Before long we had a large table of people sharing stories about Pete, Rachel and Mikey.
Then it was time to go down to the studio to queue up. When we arrived, we found out our excellent parking space, not so much, the water from the Thames had flooded the vehicle, partly submerging Pete’s Backup System, and gift from Gary and CMS. As the night drew on, this packaging would completely fall apart unfortunately.
The Show:
I’ll start with these main observations about the show. Each performer clearly loves creating and performing music. Each performer had their own style. Each performer is world class, totally professional; it was obvious this wasn’t any ordinary gig for any of them. I wished I could freeze the experience in a loop and re-live it, it was so fantastic.
We were welcomed into the studio and went into a lobby area where there was a bar and a display of the performing artists CD’s for sale. We went in and sat in the left back corner, about 15 feet from the stage, perfect, not too loud, with a clear view of everything, including stage-right, where Rachel came. Before the show started, Rachel did a short session of In The Attic from another room with Mikey and Pete before taking the stage. First up was Mikey Cuthbert, who performed excellent renditions of “Tourist”, “Plasticine”, “The Pidgeon Song” and “Clever Girl”. Mikey has an amazing voice, capable of a wide range, his high notes were smooth and soulful, he feels the music he plays, and he plays to the audience, he wants his music to connect and it did.
Then Simon Townshend came on to deliver a blistering set which included “Save Me From Me”, “Soul Searching”, “The Way It Is”, “Girl In New York” and “Sex Change”. Simon feels his music, just look at his leg stomping to the beat, the rhythm guitar in perfect time, a performer pouring everything he has into this set. Again, a total professional playing to the audience. His guitar looked bloody cool, a black Gibson that has had the pick guard partly warn through to wood from his playing. We wanted more.
Then Rachel introduced Foy Vance from Bangor, Northern Ireland, who that day had just finished moving his family from Belfast to London. I went to the side of the stage and had a few words with Foy before he went on, telling him my Mother and Father were from Belfast and Mum currently lives in Bangor, he looked pleasantly surprised, and graciously signed the EP that I had brought to the gig. Foy played from his EP “Indiscriminate Act of Kindness”, “Ballies Blood”, the Jimi Hendrix classic “Cross Town Traffic” and another tune on piano that I didn’t get the name. I predict Foy Vance will be the next Van Morrison of our time. His songs are passionate, he has the pipes to backup what he writes, and his songs are Irish Soul Music.
Rachel brought her band on stage for a wonderful set which included a collection of songs from her album “Cigarettes & Housework”. “Into My Heart”, “Spin”, “Cigarettes & Housework” and “Jigsaw”. Rachel sounds wonderful in concert. One just can’t appreciate the dynamics of live sound when played through computer speakers. I kept my hearing aids on for the entire performance so I could hear everything. Again, a performer playing to her audience, putting everything she has into her performance. Just wonderful.
Next came Pete Townshend. The thing I love about seeing Pete and Rachel are the wonderful stories and tid bits they share. Pete told us the room we were sitting in was the last room John Entwistle played live with The Who before his death on the eve of the 2002 Who Tour. The studio its self was developed as a spiritual center devoted to Meher Baba in the late 60’s, and since that time just about every disciple of Meher Baba had stayed at the center. Pete referred to it as hallowed ground. During the late 80’s and mid 90’s the studio was occupied by alternative rock group the Cocteau Twins, and they had commented on the energy they felt when playing there. I must admit, we were very happy to be there. Pete delivered a remarkable set which included “Drowned”, “Greyhound Girl”, “Behind Blue Eyes”, “Red, Blue & Grey” and “In The Ether” where he was joined by Rachel. It’s obvious to me that Pete loves music, loves creating it, loves performing it, and I could tell he was at a very happy time in his life. I will remember seeing him this way for a long time.
The show closed with all performers taking the stage for an amazing rendition of Rachel’s song “Shine”. And some banter from Pete, Rachel and Mikey from up In The Attic.
We met Rachel briefly after the show along with Mikey, Rene and Simon, it was a bit of a mob, everyone was waiting to speak with them. When I met Rachel, it was a bit loud so I couldn’t say a lot to her, but I was able to explain the tattered mess that was Pete’s gift sitting on the table, I told her that I had intended to give it to Pete, but would send a brand new unit when I got home, but she wanted to take this unit and give it to him. Hopefully it will dry out enough and he will actually use it to backup his laptop. Luckily, the Martin Guitar that I had brought along with me for Pete to autograph was in good condition. I wasn’t disappointed not to get Pete’s autograph on it, it was obvious that there were too many people around and not the right time for him to meet personally. I had not set my hopes on meeting my hero in person, and he made a personal connection with each member of the audience from the stage.
The night was remarkable. We got back to the hotel in record time with no cars on the roads and I stayed awake pretty much all night re-living the concert in my mind. I will never forget this night.

Comments